Amazon Web Services is looking for both Leaders and Developers to help us define and build the future of computing. The AWS Elastic Block Store (EBS) service delivers high performance virtualized storage "in the cloud" for EC2.
Durable storage is a key building block for any application and as a member of the EBS team you'll work alongside outstanding engineers and leaders to develop and operate one of the largest storage services in the world.
Key job responsibilities
Be a part of the team that drives improvements to the performance, availability, scalability, and durability of EBS volumes. This is an opportunity to be part of a team chartered with helping the EBS organization go faster. We own and maintain services that allow the EBS organization to ingest data and derive insights from their fleet telemetry at a petabyte scale. We are working on projects that help engineers measure and analyze the quality and performance of EBS server and drive insights from their fleet, both operational and business insights. Our team's focus has been centered around development of software systems that enable EBS SDEs to quickly, safely and securely derive insights from telemetry data.
The successful Data Engineer II will effectively:
- Partner up with Software Engineers, Data Scientists, Product Managers and Business Intelligence Engineers to create highly-reliable, available and scalable Data solutions for Stats and EBS customers.
- Design, develop, implement, test, and operate large-scale, high-volume, high-performance data structures for analytics and deep learning using best practices in data modeling, ETL/ELT processes leveraging AWS technologies and Big data tools.
- Gather business and functional requirements and translate these requirements into robust, scalable, operable solutions that work well within the overall data architecture.
- Analyze source data systems and drive best practices in source teams.
- Participate in the full development life cycle, end-to-end, from design, implementation and testing, to documentation, delivery, support, and maintenance.
- Produce comprehensive, usable dataset documentation and metadata. Evaluate and make decisions around dataset implementations designed and proposed by peer data engineers.
- Evaluate and make decisions around the use of new or existing software products and tools.
- Influence the org vision and tooling requirement to meet the data needs of our customers.
- Create and manage capacity and performance plans
- Act as the subject matter expert for the data structure and usage
A day in the life
Our team works together to provide work/life balance for all team members. We recognize that the circumstances of our team members vary, and we balance work across the team so that we're all able to maintain high standards on behalf of our customers, while at the same time allowing for rich and happy personal lives.
About the team
We're looking for innovative engineers to help change the dynamics of providing Volume Health Insights and shift the balance towards outlier detection, monitoring and troubleshooting; while processing hundred of petabytes of data which includes complex data structures. Our efforts will shift to providing support to EBS SDEs in leveraging our platform and services; while continuing to add critical features and functionality to improve EBS's overall quality and release posture.
Upon joining EBS, every employee is paired with a peer buddy who will help you to quickly come up to speed in understanding the technology we're building, the tools we use and the business problems we're trying to solve. We hire exceptional people and we recognize the importance of coaching others. We have a formal mentor search application that lets you find a mentor that works best for you based on location, job family, and job level. Your manager can also help you find a mentor or two, because two is better than one. On our internal "Broadcast" video streaming website, you'll find countless presentations by some of the brightest minds in computing discussing solutions to many of the exciting problems we're solving in AWS today with new live-streaming videos added every week.
We have a diverse team and drive towards an inclusive culture and work environment. Our team is intentional about attracting, developing, and retaining amazing talent from diverse backgrounds. Our team members are active in Amazon's 10+ affinity groups, sometimes known as employee resource groups, which bring employees together across businesses and locations around the world. These range from groups such as the Black Employee Network (BEN), Amazon Women in Engineering (AWE) and Glamazon (our LGBTQ+ community).BASIC QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics, or a related technical discipline.
- 4+ years of industry experience in Software Development, Data Engineering, Business Intelligence, Data Science, or related field with a track record of manipulating, processing, and extracting value from large datasets.
- Hands-on experience and advanced knowledge of SQL.
- Experience in Data Modeling, ETL Development, and Data Warehousing.Experience using business intelligence reporting tools (Power BI, Tableau, Cognos, etc.).
- Experience using big data technologies (Hadoop, Hive, Hbase, Spark, EMR, etc.).
- Knowledge of Data Management fundamentals and Data Storage principles.
- Experience coding and automating processes using Python or R.
- Strong customer focus, ownership, urgency, and drive.
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to work well in a team.
- Effective analytical, troubleshooting, and problem-solving skills.
- Query performance tuning skills
- Masters in computer science, mathematics, statistics, economics, or other quantitative fields.
- Experience working with AWS big data technologies (Redshift, S3, EMR, Glue).
- Industry experience as a Data Engineer or related specialty (e.g., Software Engineer, Business Intelligence Engineer, Data Scientist) with a track record of manipulating, processing, and extracting value from large datasets.
- Experience building/operating highly available, distributed systems of data extraction, ingestion, and processing of large data sets
- Proven success in communicating with users, other technical teams, and senior management to collect requirements, describe data modeling decisions and data engineering strategy.
- Experience providing technical leadership and educating other engineers for best practices on data engineering.
- Background in Big Data, non-relational databases, Machine Learning and Data Mining is a plus.
- Coding proficiency in at least one modern programming language (Python, Ruby, Java, etc)
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, age, or other legally protected status. If you would like to request an accommodation, please notify your Recruiter.