100 King Street West
Job Family Group:
Data Analytics & Reporting
The Head, NACB Data Sciences will provide data expertise and advanced analytic capabilities to support a variety of Commercial Banking business initiatives. The successful candidate will be responsible for building out a team to support the mandate. Primary accountabilities are to 1) build models (e.g. machine learning / deep learning / artificial intelligence), and 2) provide cross-functional advanced analytical support. The models will support risk management, customer retention, customer growth, prospecting activities. Model needs will be identified both reactively based on business need, and proactively based on business opportunities and marketplace capabilities. Advanced analytics will support strategy development and tracking, as well as serve as an incubation centre for new approaches to leveraging the bank's data assets. The role will support the overall NACB Data & Analytics practice, including making recommendations that broadly support a best-in-class Data & Analytics function. A deep, integrated understanding of Commercial Banking is required to effectively support our Commercial growth ambitions.
Applies knowledge of advanced analytic algorithms and technologies (e.g. machine learning, deep learning, artificial intelligence) to deliver better predictions and/or intelligent automation that enables smarter business decisions, improved customer experience, and drives productivity. Applies strong communication and story-telling skills to summarize statistical/algorithmic findings, draw business conclusions, and present actionable insight in a way that resonates with business/groups. Drives innovation through the development of Data & AI products that can be leveraged across the organization and establishes best practices in in alignment with Data & AI governance frameworks of BMO.
- Acts as a trusted advisor to senior leaders for making business decisions and implementing strategic initiatives.
- Provides thought leadership and strategic advice to businesses through "art of the possible" conversations and demonstrating value though "Proof of Values".
- Networks with industry contacts to gather competitive insights and best practices.
- Recommends business priorities, advises on resource requirements and develops roadmap for strategic execution.
- Makes strategic recommendations on data collection, integration and retention requirements incorporating business requirements and knowledge of best practices.
- Structures loosely defined and complex business problems; determines new experimentation methods and statistical techniques to design solutions.
- Acts as the prime contact for internal/external stakeholder relationships, which may include regulators.
- Supports development and execution of strategic initiatives in collaboration with internal and external stakeholders.
- Leads discovery process with stakeholders to identify business requirements and expected outcome and to select relevant sources of data/information.
- Develops an expert understanding of business/group challenges.
- Develops the business case by identifying needs, analysing potential options and assessing expected return on investment.
- Drives analytics innovation; poses open-ended questions, explores new ideas, and chooses appropriate techniques for solving business problems.
- Works with stakeholders to identify the business requirements, understand distinct problems and expected outcomes, and models and frames business scenarios which impact critical business processes and/or decisions.
- Defines business requirements for analytics & reporting to ensure data insights inform business decision making.
- Works with various data owners to discover and select available data from internal sources and external vendors (e.g. lending system, payment system, external credit rating system, and alternative data) to fulfill analytical needs.
- Develops analytical solutions and makes recommendations based on an understanding of the business strategy and stakeholder needs.
- Performs experimental design approaches to validate finding or test hypotheses.
- Identifies/creates the appropriate algorithm to discover patterns.
- Develops agreed analytical solution by applying suitable statistical & machine learning techniques (e.g., A/B testing, prototype solutions, mathematical models, algorithms, machine learning, deep learning, artificial intelligence) to test, verify, refine hypotheses.
- Applies scripting / programming skills to assemble various types of source data (unstructured, semi-structured, and structured) into well-prepared datasets with multiple levels of granularities (e.g., demographics, customers, products, transactions).
- Provides advice and guidance to assigned business/group on implementation of analytical solutions.
- Summarizes statistical findings and draws conclusions, presents actionable business recommendations. Presents findings & recommendations in a simple, clear way to drive action.
- Documents data flow, systems and processes in data collection to improve efficiency and apply use cases.
- Fosters strong internal and external networks and works with and across multiple teams to achieve business objectives.
- Manages resources and leads the execution of strategic initiatives to deliver on business and financial goals.
- Diagnoses and resolves predictive / analytical model performance issues while monitoring system performance and implementation of efficiency improvements.
- Leads change management programs of varying scope and type, including readiness assessments, planning, stakeholder management, execution, evaluation and sustainment of initiatives.
- Leads the development of the communication strategy focusing on positively influencing or changing behaviour.
- Collaborates across BMO to develop communications strategies and ensure consistency of messaging, in order to positively influence or change behaviour.
- Sets up change control and testing processes to ensure the quality and consistency of ongoing maintenance work.
- Designs and implements policies and procedures around new data sets to ensure data quality, consistency, repeatability, and accuracy of insights.
- Leads the execution of operational programs; assesses and adapts as needed to ensure quality of execution.
- Leads/participates in the design, implementation and management of core business/group processes.
We're here to help
- Oversees the development and delivery of tools and training for data and analytics.
- Supports development of tools and delivers training for data analytics and AI.
- Influences how teams/groups work together.
- Applies expertise and thinks creatively to address unique or ambiguous situations and to find solutions to multiple, interdependent, complex problems.
- Communicates abstract concepts in simple terms.
- Recommends measures to improve organizational effectiveness.
- Anticipates trends and responds by implementing appropriate changes.
- Fosters a culture aligned to BMO purpose, values and strategy and role models BMO values and behaviours in all that they do.
- Ensures alignment between values and behaviour that fosters diversity and inclusion.
- Regularly connects work to BMO's purpose, sets inspirational goals, defines clear expected outcomes, and ensures clear accountability for follow through.
- Builds interdependent teams that collaborate across functional and operating groups to create the highest value for all stakeholders.
- Attracts, retains, and enables the career development of top talent.
- Improves team performance, recognizes and rewards performance, coaches employees, supports their development, and manages poor performance.
- Broader work or accountabilities may be assigned as needed.
At BMO we are driven by a shared Purpose: Boldly Grow the Good in business and life. It calls on us to create lasting, positive change for our customers, our communities and our people. By working together, innovating and pushing boundaries, we transform lives and businesses, and power economic growth around the world.
As a member of the BMO team you are valued, respected and heard, and you have more ways to grow and make an impact. We strive to help you make an impact from day one - for yourself and our customers. We'll support you with the tools and resources you need to reach new milestones, as you help our customers reach theirs. From in-depth training and coaching, to manager support and network-building opportunities, we'll help you gain valuable experience, and broaden your skillset.
To find out more visit us at https://jobs.bmo.com/ca/en .
BMO is committed to an inclusive, equitable and accessible workplace. By learning from each other's differences, we gain strength through our people and our perspectives. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. To request accommodation, please contact your recruiter.