CityNews is seeking Indigenous journalists* to join an all-Indigenous news team spanning the country. Be part of an Indigenous-led team charting its own path and building something great!
Working in our television newsrooms, you will bring an Indigenous lens to reporting on all local issues and topics, as well as focusing on storytelling related to Indigenous communities and peoples.
Up for the challenge? If so, consider the following opportunity...
* To be part of this team, you must be a member of one or more of the following three groups of Indigenous peoples: First Nations (status and non-status), Métis or Inuit.
Indigenous Journalist - CityNews
What you will do/Your purpose...
- Generate story ideas and produce television news content for our newscasts and all-news streaming channels.
- Establish and/or maintain relationships with Indigenous communities and their peoples to find and tell stories that are important to those communities.
- Respond to local breaking news of all kinds, quickly and accurately.
- Work with local producers and editors, as well as other team members, to help produce episodes of the new CityNews prime time news specials.
What you will bring...
- A passion for news and visual storytelling -understanding what makes a great story and knowing how to tell it.
- A keen interest in local news of all kinds, including spot news and breaking news.
- Strong experience in reporting on Indigenous issues and communities.
- A self-starter, willing to lead with curiosity and initiative.
- Ability to multi-task and deliver for multiple, daily online and broadcast deadlines.
- Willingness to work evenings and weekends (as required).
- Valid driver's licence and clean driving record required.
Here's what you can expect in return...
- A competitive salary and benefits which include access to our Employee Share Accumulation Program, Retirement Benefits, and a variety of other perks, including 50% off Rogers services and Blue Jays tickets.
- A company that is committed to the collective journey towards truth and reconciliation in meaningful ways, in partnership with Indigenous Peoples. Rogers Sports & Media has multi-platform potential to support the reclamation of language, history, and culture in support of individuality and authenticity. We are committed to partnership with Indigenous communities and our Indigenous team members on the collective journey of truth and reconciliation. Our news content will provide coverage of and information onissues of concern to Indigenous People and all Canadians including the history and legacy of residential schools and the reconciliation process. Our sport platforms will continue to highlight achievements and stories of Indigenous athletes. Our business platforms will continue to give Indigenous business owners greater opportunity. Learn more about our journey here.
Additional supports for our Indigenous employees include, but are not limited to:
- Access to a formal Employee Family Assistance Plan
- Tax exemptions for First Nations living or working on reserve
- Traditional Indigenous Practice Leave
- A company that is part of the Progressive Aboriginal Relations certification program via Canadian Council for Aboriginal Business
- An executive leadership team that humbly supports a corporate journey toward truth & reconciliation
- An Indigenous Peoples Network - an internal support network for Indigenous employees and Indigenous cultural preservation
- Gord Downie-Chanie Wenjack Legacy Space Program
Full time Shift:
Variable Length of Contract:
Not Applicable (Regular Position) Work Location:
8 Forks Market Road (813), Winnipeg, MB Travel Requirements:
Up to 10% Posting Category/Function:
Broadcasting & On-Air Talent Requisition ID:
What makes us different makes us stronger. Rogers has a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion. Everyone who applies for a job will be considered. We recognize the business value in creating a workplace where each team member has the tools to reach their full potential. At Rogers, we value the insights and innovation that diverse teams bring to work. We work with our candidates with disabilities throughout the recruitment process to ensure that they have what they need to be at their best. Please reach out to our recruiters and hiring managers to begin a conversation about how we can ensure that you deliver your best work. You matter to us! For any questions, please visit the Rogers FAQ .
Posting Notes: Rogers Sports & Media
Winnipeg, MB, CA Being a Rogers team member comes with some great perks & benefits including:
• Health & well-being benefits
• Donation matching
• Paid time off for volunteering
• Wealth Accumulation including: Pension plan & Employee stock options
• Generous employee discounts
• Leadership development, Mentorship, and Coaching programs
*available for full-time and part-time permanent employees, some restrictions apply Looking for career guidance and inspiration?
Catch up on the latest episodes of For the Love of Work
podcast with Dr. Sonia Kang.