Permanent Reference code
:125208 Primary Location:
Toronto, ON All Available Locations:
Toronto, ON; Brossard, QC; Burlington, ON; Calgary, AB; Edmonton, AB; Fredericton, NB; Halifax, NS; Kitchener, ON; Laval, QC; Moncton, NB; Montreal, QC; Ottawa, ON; Quebec City, QC; Regina, SK; Saint John, NB; Saskatoon, SK; St. John's, NL; Vancouver, BC; Vaughan, ON; Victoria, BC; Windsor, ON; Winnipeg, MB Our Purpose
At Deloitte, we are driven to inspire and help our people, organization, communities, and country to thrive. Our Purpose is to build a better future by accelerating and expanding access to knowledge. Purpose defines who we are and gives us reason to exist as an organization.
By living our Purpose, we will make an impact that matters.
Are you looking for an exciting opportunity to drive IP strategy and advise on legal issues pertaining to IP and product work for Deloitte's Office of the General Counsel? Are you looking to make an impact at a leading global professional services firm? Then we're looking for talent like you to join the OGC!What will your typical day look like?"Due to the nature of the role having interactions with National & Global clients, bilingualism in French and English is required for this position - Quebec based only."
- Partner with clients to solve their most complex problems
- Build a network of colleagues for life
- Be empowered to lead and have impact with clients, our communities and in the office.
Working with the Assistant General Counsel, Commercial, as the IP and Product Counsel you will be responsible for providing legal support and advice related to IP and product development. You will drive IP strategy and serve as a subject matter expert in the commercialization of IP, navigating complex IP issues, and supporting commercial technology transactional work including advising on compliance with relevant laws, regulations, and industry standards. Responsibilities will include but are not limited to:
About the team
- Prosecution of patent and trademark applications, including supervision of outside counsel for those activities.
- Provide legal advice on the procurement, development, maintenance, and enforcement of IP matters, including patents, trademarks, copyrights, and trade secrets.
- Assist in establishing Deloitte's IP Committee and being an advisor on same.
- Provide IP legal support for client engagements related to intellectual property rights and licensing of technology, including advising, negotiating, and drafting complex commercial provisions related to technology agreements.
- Support internal business units and global initiatives across the Deloitte member firm network on product development and new offerings that require legal support for commercialization and protecting ownership rights in IP, including providing expert advice and support on technology matters pertinent to Deloitte, such as AI/Large Language Models, Data Use and Handling, and Open-Source Software.
- Develop and drive implementation of IP strategy aligned with corporate objectives, including managing policies for, and providing enablement training on, best practices for the use and protection of Deloitte's IP portfolio.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams, including product teams, marketing, and business development, to ensure legal compliance and risk management.
- Conduct legal research and analysis related to IP and product work, including keeping abreast of industry trends, regulatory developments, and best practices.
The Office of the General Counsel is a national, high performing group of professionals providing legal advice to the Deloitte Canada firm and our business leaders. The OGC consists of approximately 30 people including lawyers, paralegals, law clerks and paraprofessionals. They advise on corporate, commercial, regulatory, risk, employment, and litigation matters. Our work is rewarding, and we see the impact of the services we provide to our clients. Enough about us, let's talk about you
You are someone who has/is:
- Law degree qualified in Ontario or other Canadian Province.
- Active membership in good standing with the Law Society of Ontario or other Canadian Province.
- At least 7 years of experience in intellectual property and product work. Experience as a patent lawyer and in-house legal experience would be an asset.
- Experience in commercial technology transactional work.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills. (Bilingual in French and English - Quebec based only)
- Ability to work independently and manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Strong attention to detail and ability to work under tight deadlines.
- A strong sense of ownership, inquisitive and enthusiastic about technology, enjoy being continually challenged, and demonstrated sound judgment in ambiguous situations.
- Ability to "think outside the box" and solution complex matters with creativity.
The salary range for this position is $140,000 - $260,000, and individuals may be eligible to participate in our bonus program. Deloitte is fair and competitive when it comes to the salaries of our people. We regularly benchmark across a variety of positions, industries, sectors, targets, and levels. Our approach is grounded on recognizing people's unique strengths and contributions and rewarding the value that they deliver.
Our Total Rewards Package extends well beyond traditional compensation and benefit programs and is designed to recognize employee contributions, encourage personal wellness, and support firm growth. Along with a competitive base salary and variable pay opportunities, we offer a wide array of initiatives that differentiate us as a people-first organization. Some representative examples include: $4,000 per year for mental health support benefits, a $1,300 flexible benefit spending account, 38+ days off (including 10 firm-wide closures known as "Deloitte Days"), flexible work arrangements and a hybrid work structure.Our promise to our people: Deloitte is where potential comes to life. Be yourself, and more.
We are a group of talented people who want to learn, gain experience, and develop skills. Wherever you are in your career, we want you to advance. You shape how we make impact.
Diverse perspectives and life experiences make us better. Whoever you are and wherever you're from, we want you to feel like you belong here. We provide flexible working options to support you and how you can contribute. Be the leader you want to be. Be the leader you want to be
Some guide teams, some change culture, some build essential expertise. We offer opportunities and experiences that support your continuing growth as a leader. Have as many careers as you want.
We are uniquely able to offer you new challenges and roles - and prepare you for them. We bring together people with unique experiences and talents, and we are the place to develop a lasting network of friends, peers, and mentors. Our TVP is about relationships - between leaders and their people, the firm and its people, peers, and within in our communities.The next step is yours
At Deloitte, we are all about doing business inclusively - that starts with having diverse colleagues of all abilities. Deloitte encourages applications from all qualified candidates who represent the full diversity of communities across Canada. This includes, but is not limited to, people with disabilities, candidates from Indigenous communities, and candidates from the Black community in support of living our values, creating a culture of Diversity Equity and Inclusion and our commitment to our AccessAbility Action Plan , Reconciliation Action Plan and the BlackNorth Initiative .
We encourage you to connect with us at email@example.com
if you require an accommodation for the recruitment process (including alternate formats of materials, accessible meeting rooms or other accommodations) or firstname.lastname@example.org
for any questions relating to careers for Indigenous peoples at Deloitte (First Nations, Inuit, Métis).
By applying to this job you will be assessed against the Deloitte Global Talent Standards. We've designed these standards to provide our clients with a consistent and exceptional Deloitte experience globally.
Deloitte Canada has 30 offices with representation across most of the country. We acknowledge our offices reside on traditional, treaty and unceded territories as part of Turtle Island and is still home to many First Nations, Métis, and Inuit peoples. We are all Treaty people.Job Segment:
Intellectual Property, Compliance, Law, Open Source, QC, Legal, Technology, Quality