Are you a linguist with technical aptitude? Or are you an engineer with a passion for languages and linguistics? Come and join the Alexa Home Productivity (AHP) team which builds the speech and language solution behind Echo and other Amazon services, which make Alexa an ideal service to simplify life - helping families stay organized and connected to each other and making life run a little more smoothly. From setting timers while cooking to checking daily schedules and waking up to Alexa's alarm tone, we help customers manage their time more easily using only their voice.
Our team is looking for a Language Engineer with experience in linguistic annotation, ontologies, taxonomies and/or semantic schemata. We are seeking a candidate with strong analytical skills to help us measure, analyze and solve complex language technology problems.
Key job responsibilities
* Develop artifacts for natural language understanding, such as rules, grammars, and statistical models
* Contribute to the design of new features by extending annotation schemas to cover new areas
* Use modeling tools to bootstrap new functionalities
* Measure and analyze accuracy and throughput of annotated data
* Design dialog evaluation conventions, test tooling developments, and pilot processes to support expansion to new areas
* Own data analyses for customer-facing features, including launch Go/No-go metrics for new features and accuracy metrics for existing features
* Handle competing requests from a range of data customers
* Collaborate with other Language Engineers, Scientists and Data Specialists in data collection and feature design effortsBASIC QUALIFICATIONS
* Master's or higher degree in Linguistics, Computational Linguistics or a related field
* Experience in computational linguistics, language data analysis, semantics, or syntax
* Experience with language annotation and other forms of data markup
* Proficiency in Python or another scripting language
* Experience writing pattern matching rules, regular expressions or grammarsPREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
* Practical knowledge of ontologies, taxonomies, and other semantic meaning representation schemas
* Familiarity with automatic speech recognition, or phonetics/phonology
* Familiarity with basic concepts in machine learning and statistical language modelling
* Comfortable using command line tools
* Experience working with speech and text language data in multiple languages
* Comfortable working in a fast paced, highly collaborative, dynamic work environment
* Practical knowledge of version control (e.g. Git) and agile development
* Excellent communication, strong organizational skills and very detailed oriented
* Willingness to support several projects at one time, and to accept reprioritization as necessary.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, age, or other legally protected status. If you would like to request an accommodation, please notify your Recruiter.
Software and Programming