LSO FORS 2 - Practices Forester Position Classification
Licensed Sc Off Forester 2 Union
PEA Work Options Location
Multiple Locations, BC CA
Revelstoke, BC V0E 3K0 CA
Vernon, BC V1T 9V2 CA (Primary)Salary Range
$63,636.24 - $80,877.09 annually Close Date
4/6/2023 Job Type
Regular Full Time Temporary End Date Ministry/Organization
BC Public Service -> Ministry of Forests Ministry Branch / Division
BCTS, Okanagan Columbia Job Summary Practices Forester
Licensed Science Officer Other 2A great next step in your career!
BC Timber Sales (BCTS) is a unique program of the Ministry of Forests (MOF). Working collaboratively with regional and district operations, BCTS plans, develops, and auctions a substantial portion of the province's annual available timber volume. BCTS operates as a for profit entity within a government organization. Its goal is to provide credible representative price and cost benchmark data for the Market Pricing System through auctions of timber harvested from British Columbia's public land. BCTS operations are guided by three overarching principles, forest sector safety, reconciliation with Indigenous Peoples and sustainable forest management.
The Practices Forester is accountable for performing a wide variety of professional services including operational planning, cut block and forest road layout and development, planning and evaluating silviculture activities, and ensuring compliance with the Forest Stewardship Plan. The range of duties assigned to a particular Practices Forester will vary from Business Area to Business Area due to the geographic location, apportionment and management requirements.
A career path in BC Timber Sales offers exceptional opportunities to develop new solutions to complex problems, and to learn and grow personally and professionally. Existing and future BCTS employees have the opportunity to impact public and private forests, communities, the economy and the lives of British Columbians in positive and unique ways.
Explore the opportunities and value working with our team can offer you: Why Work for the Ministry of Forests .
To find out more about our program check out the BCTS website .\Job Requirements:
- A Registered Professional Forester (RPF) or be eligible for registration as an RPF with the Association of BC Forest Professionals and two (2) years of experience in operational field forestry activities.
- Operational field forestry activities include the following:
- Timber harvesting monitoring/conformance
- Cut-block development
- Forest road engineering
- Timber tenure development and administration
- Planning integrated resource management
- Must possess at minimum a valid Class 5 BC Driver's Licence that does not limit or restrict the ability to conduct the duties of the job.
- Must be willing and able to withstand the rigors of fieldwork.
- Must be willing to work in adverse weather conditions.
- Must be willing and able to travel to meet job requirements.
- Must be willing and able to travel in fixed and or rotary winged aircraft and or watercraft.
- Must be able to maintain membership with the Association of British Columbia Forest Professionals as a member in good standing.
- Preference may be given to candidates with experience in more than one (1) operational field forestry activity.
- Experience working with Indigenous Peoples.
- Experience in contract management.
For questions regarding this position, please contact email@example.com About this Position:
There is one (1) position currently available in Vernon.
An eligibility list may be established for similar vacancies within the BC Timber Sales Okanagan Columbia Business Area (Vernon, Revelstoke)
On November 1, 2021 the BC Public Service announced the COVID-19 Vaccination Policy that defines the conditions and expectations for BC Public Service employees regarding vaccination against COVID-19. Among other possible measures, proof of vaccination will be required. It is a term of acceptance of employment that you agree to comply with all vaccination requirements that apply to the public service. More information can be found here .
Applicants who do not fully meet the required qualifications may be considered for this position, but at a lower classification.Working for the BC Public Service
The BC Public Service is committed to creating a diverse workplace to represent the population we serve and to better meet the needs of our citizens. Consider joining our team and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
The Indigenous Applicant Advisory Service is available to applicants that self-identify as Indigenous (First Nations, status or non-status, Métis, or Inuit) seeking work or already employed in the BC Public Service. For guidance on applying and interviewing, please contact IndigenousApplicants@gov.bc.ca
Vernon is Surrounded by rolling grasslands with rocky outcrops and stands of ponderosa pine and Douglas fir, its three lakes and mountain views in every direction command attention. Nature remains Vernon's biggest asset. Famous champagne powder at Silver Star Mountain Resort, just 22km/13mi from downtown, attracts skiers, snowboarders, snowshoers and snowmobilers. In summer, countless hiking and cycling trails to explore every area from the historic Grey Canal within the city to the nearby provincial parks and the rugged Monashee Mountain Range. Mountain biking is also a big draw at Silver Star.
In addition to this exciting opportunity and amazing locations, the BC Public Service is an award-winning employer in British Columbia, including such accolades as being one of BC's Top Employers for 2021, one of Canada's Top 100 Employers for 2021 and one of Canada's Top Family-Friendly Employers in 2021.
This is your opportunity to build your career and to gain a better understanding of all the public service has to offer, such as competitive employee benefits , amazing learning opportunities and a chance to engage in rewarding work with an award winning employer . The BC Public Service encourages a healthy work/life balance that enables you to take advantage of the community and surrounding area in which you live. For more information, please visit What The BC Public Service Offers You .
How to Apply:
Your application must clearly demonstrate how you meet the job requirements listed above.Professional Designation: YES
- Please include your registration number in your application. You must be registered (or immediately eligible for registration) as a Professional Forester with the Association of BC Forest Professionals. Note: immediately eligible for registration is defined as being able to transfer a current membership from an applicable jurisdiction. Applicants must confirm their eligibility with the ABCFP . Confirmation of registration/eligibility will be required before an offer of employment can be made.Cover Letter: NO -
Please do not submit a cover letter as it will not be reviewed. Please select "SKIP" on the cover letter screen to continue with your applicationResume: YES
- Ensure your resume includes your educational accomplishments, employment history including start and end dates (month and year) of your employment, and any relevant information that relates to the job to which you are applying.Online Questionnaire: YES
- As part of the application process, you will be prompted to complete an online questionnaire to demonstrate how you meet the job requirements.
Helpful tips, videos and more regarding the application process can be found on the Your Job Application page of MyHR. If you are experiencing technical difficulty applying, e-mail BCPSA.Hiring.Centre@gov.bc.ca
, before the stated closing time, and we will respond as soon as possible.Additional Information:
CRC - A Criminal Record Check (CRC) will be required.
The BC Public Service COVID-19 Vaccination Policy defines the conditions and expectations for BC Public Service employees regarding vaccination against COVID-19. Among other possible measures, proof of vaccination will be required. It is a term of acceptance of employment that you agree to comply with all vaccination requirements that apply to the public service. More information can be found here .
Applicants selected to move forward in the hiring process may be assessed on the Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Competencies as outlined in the attached Job Profile located at the bottom of the posting.
Applications will be accepted until 11:00 pm Pacific Standard Time on the closing date of the competition.Job Category
Scientific and Technical