At KPMG, you'll join a team of diverse and dedicated problem solvers, connected by a common cause: turning insight into opportunity for clients and communities around the world. The opportunity
Changing community demographics, increased business activity and governance demands, complex financial systems and a lack of investment capital and training are key considerations for businesses, charities, governments and entrepreneurs today. Building relationships between businesses, educational institutions, government entities and healthcare partners is integral to achieving successful outcomes.
KPMG's Indigenous Client Services (ICS) professionals serve the unique needs of Indigenous organizations, communities and cultures across Canada. Backed by years of experience in working with a multitude of industries and agencies, we work with our clients, providing them with the technical knowledge and insights necessary to succeed.
We are looking for a Tax Manager or Senior Manager to join our Indigenous client services group. This is a great opportunity to develop your skills, serve the unique needs of Indigenous organizations and communities across Canada, expand your internal and external networks and be a key member in the growth of our practice.
As a lead member you will work closely with KPMG Partners on tax related matters including planning, due diligence, M&A, compliance and tax exempt status requirements.. Your organizational skills will enable you to direct the work of junior staff, including reviewing their work for accuracy and completeness. Additionally, you will research and assist our clients in understanding the unique nuances of their individual tax and compliance issues, including the impact on their broader business as a whole. The ideal candidate is focused on the development of long term relationships, both within our organization as well as with clients and stakeholders in the community. What you will do
What you bring to the role
- Work in partnership with First Nations clients and Indigenous-led organizations to support in leading client engagements.
- Working closely with other members of our team as a senior team member on tax planning work for clients.
- Utilizing an understanding of the Indian Act as a component of work with clients.
- Planning and organizing teams for the preparation of tax returns and conducting and presenting tax research.
- Advising on planning opportunities, tax minimization strategies, and compliance issues.
- Advise on tax exemptions under Section 87 of the Indian Act and potential tax exemptions available within section 149 of the Income Tax Act
- Reviewing the work of junior staff for accuracy and completeness.
- Become part of the tax engagement team in servicing the needs of clients.
- Providing ongoing support and mentoring for the professional development of staff.
- Build and maintain mutually respective relationships with Indigenous clients in First Nations Communities, businesses, non-profit and entrepreneurship roles.
Keys to your success:
- Professional accounting designation.
- A minimum of 5 years specializing in tax in public accounting would be an asset .
- Enrollment in or completion of the CPA In Depth Tax program would be an asset.
- Knowledge and understanding of Indigenous Culture, Governance, Treaties and Rights, Reconciliation and Indigenous History in Canada.
- Experience working directly with Indigenous communities, governments and associations.
- Knowledge of the Indian Act and associated tax implications
- Knowledge of Section 149 tax exemptions of the Income Tax Act
- Knowledge of the taxation of trusts and their beneficiaries and partnerships and their partners.
- Knowledge of structuring Indigenous businesses to preserve tax exemptions.
- Experience with due diligence, M&A and structuring Indigenous and Non-Indigenous business relationships would be an asset
- Excellent people management skills.
- Highly motivated individual with a desire for growth.
- Excellent client service skills with the ability to understand the clients business.
- Dedication and motivation to achieve high standards of client service and professionalism in the performance of duties.
- Emphasizes on quality and adds value in client offerings and services.
- Strong project management and organizational skills.
- Effectively manages conflicting demands and priorities.
- Provides others with the opportunity to take on new tasks and responsibilities.
KPMG individuals Deliver Impact | Seek Growth | Inspire Trust
and understand that a diverse workforce enables us to deepen relationships and strengthen our business. Providing you with the support you need to be at your best
For more information about KPMG in Canada's Benefits and well-being, click here. Our Values, The KPMG WayIntegrity
, we do what is right | Excellence
, we never stop learning and improving | Courage
, we think and act boldly | Together
, we respect each other and draw strength from our differences | For Better
, we do what matters
KPMG in Canada is a proud equal opportunities employer and we are committed to creating a respectful, inclusive and barrier-free workplace that allows all of our people to reach their full potential. A diverse workforce is key to our success and we believe in bringing your whole self to work. We welcome all qualified candidates to apply and hope you will choose KPMG in Canada as your employer of choice. For more information about Inclusion, Diversity & Equity in Recruitment, please click here .
If you have a question about accessible employment at KPMG, or to begin a confidential conversation about your individual accessibility or accommodation needs through the recruitment process, we encourage you to visit our accessibility page .