Requisition ID: 163497
Join a purpose driven winning team, committed to results, in an inclusive and high-performing culture. Senior Manager and Team Lead Purpose
The Senior Manager and Team Lead, leads and oversees a Canadian Business Banking Mid-Market (Growth) Banking Team in Canada ensuring business strategies, plans and initiatives are executed/delivered in compliance with governing regulations, internal policies and procedures.
In this role you are responsible for meeting objectives related to the profitable growth and client satisfaction of an assigned portfolio of Business Clients by providing strategic direction, leadership and oversight for Relationship Management and Execution across the Mid-Market segment in a defined market area.
This position will have direct reports; a team of Client Relationship Managers. Accountabilities
• Leads and drives a customer focused culture throughout their team to deepen client relationships and leverage broader Bank relationships, systems and knowledge.
• Develops sales management strategies and leads the implementation of tactical plans for the assigned geographic area, to support the Canadian Business Banking strategy and business objectives by:
o Leading the sales effort to achieve the overall profit plan goals
o Reviewing input from a variety of sources including the field, team members, customers, competitive intelligence, etc. (driven by marketing segmentation and portfolio management);
o Conceptualizing objectives and prioritizing initiatives;
o Anticipating and planning for potential risks and opportunities;
o Obtaining input from Relationship and Support team members and/or other stakeholders to ensure successful implementation;
o Deploying/engaging resources to support the strategies;
o Motivating and focusing the efforts of the Relationship and Support team members;
o Resolving issues/negotiating compromises between team members and partners from other Scotiabank Groups (e.g. Global Risk Management, Shared Services Business Service Centre, Global Banking Markets, Global Business Payments, Global Wealth Management, Retail & Small Business Banking, etc.) to meet objectives/overcome obstacles, guiding team members to alternatives if required;
o Acting decisively in order to move things forward in a timely manner;
o Escalating issues/obstacles/trends to the Director & Group Lead, Commercial Banking with recommendations/solutions;
o Allocates prospects and other business opportunities amongst the team.
• Ensures the customer portfolio assigned to the Team receives ongoing attention to improve and retain relationships by:
o Ensuring an active Business Development program with each relationship to ensure the Bank is familiar with the business' operations and its principal officers;
o Coaching to ensure each customer call and meeting has specific objectives;
o Using knowledge of the Bank's commercial financial product suite, as well as providing some product customization, the incumbent oversees that customer and prospects needs are met, while accessing internal product specialists and support;
o Using pricing parameters based on assigned market, with price negotiation within band;
o Actively seeking customer feedback on Bank products and the delivery of customer service;
o Ensuring the team interacts effectively with the Shared Services Business Service Centre (BSC)
• With the support of the Associate Group Lead, ensures an acceptable quality credit portfolio and client base, within established parameters for compliance and underwriting in the Mid-Market Segment by:
o Monitoring ongoing credit reporting collection and associated reporting tasks (spreading, trend analysis, e-tracker maintenance, etc.)
o Monitoring the timely analysis, structuring and presentation of credit proposals within the Mid Market segment;
o Monitoring quality of the portfolio, the client base and the administration of same;
o Monitoring quality of credit presentations;
o Monitoring integrity of risk ratings;
o Monitoring data integrity in various systems
o Monitoring that exception conditions as specified by the Bank's adjudicating, auditing and compliance organizations are met prior to the advancing of funds or the use of account facilities by Customers;
o Monitoring that an effective system of review and follow-up is maintained for accounts within the assigned area as reported through loan audits and OSFI reviews, and taking action as appropriate including alerting the Director & Group Lead, Commercial Banking to unsatisfactory trends.
• Maintains a high market profile within the assigned market area with both internal and external contacts by:
o Identifying key business contacts and establishing relationships with centres of influence within the market area;
o Building and maintaining internal relationships with key players/contacts;
o Ensuring the involvement of team members and stakeholders from internal resources in order to further business interests;
o Representing the Bank/Canadian Business Banking at various industry and regulatory functions, as required.
• Establishing and monitoring team goals by:
o Negotiating the goals/plans; Monitoring/analyzing results; Managing to assigned budget(s); Identifying, then initiating and directing tactical responses to any changing trends.
• Leads and manages direct reports by:
o Providing direction, coaching, training and deal assistance as required;
o Conducting sales meetings and touch-bases;
o Recognizing performance and managing non-performance;
o Preparing individualized development plans for all Direct Reports;
o May act as a mentor.
• Champion and support a culture of diversity and other initiatives aligned with the Bank Strategy
• Understand how the Bank's risk appetite and risk culture should be considered in day-to-day activities and decisions.
• Creates an environment in which his/her team pursues effective and efficient operations of his/her respective areas, while ensuring the adequacy, adherence to and effectiveness of day-to-day business controls to meet obligations with respect to operational risk, regulatory compliance risk, AML/ATF risk and conduct risk, including but not limited to responsibilities under the Operational Risk Management Framework, Regulatory Compliance Risk Management Framework, AML/ATF Global Handbook and the Guidelines for Business Conduct.
• Builds a high performance environment and implements a people strategy that attracts, retains, develops and motivates their team by fostering an inclusive work environment and using a coaching mindset and behaviours; communicating vison/values/business strategy; and, managing succession and development planning for the team. Dimensions
• Clients being serviced are in Canada and generally within the same region although they could have operations across the country as well as in international locations.
• These clients are in the Mid-Market segment with sales up to $75MM.
• The incumbent will interact primarily with various internal partners which include: Global Risk Management, Shared Services, Global Business Payments, Payment Cash Management, Leasing, Global Banking Markets, Wealth Management, Enhanced Due Diligence Unit as well as the Canadian Business Banking Executive Office.
• The incumbent will be in contact with client CFO and Controllers and Centres of Influence within the market area; building and maintaining internal relationships with key players/contacts
• The incumbent will also interact with external parties such as Solicitors, Accountants, Professional Service Providers and other Banks.
• The incumbent continually works with clients providing service consistent with Scotia Service Standards, Complaint Resolution Standards and Procedures. The incumbent looks for opportunities to promote the sale of bank product and services.
• The environment is fast paced and demanding and will at times require priorities be re-adjusted to accommodate urgent requestsEducation / Experience / Other InformationEducation:
• Post secondary education: University degree in business or economics or other Business Specialty background
• Commitment to participate in other training requirements as determined by the Bank from time to timeSkills/Work Experience:
• Must have at least 5 years of commercial banking experience
• Strong network of prospects, potential Relationship Manager candidates and Centers of Influence in the region
• Expert knowledge of Canada's financial services marketplace and of the assigned market area's key industries, major customers and competitive positioning within the assigned market areas.
• Solid understanding of the Canadian Business Banking objectives, strategies and structures. To complement this, the incumbent must possess tactical planning skills and implementation/ management skills.
• Expert sales management, coaching, relationship building and leadership skills are essential, along with the ability to influence and motivate others.
• Must set a positive example of change and encourage others to do the same.
• Strong interpersonal skills are essential for business development/customer relationship building and to facilitate a positive and effective team environment.
• Must be able to effectively articulate their views to all levels both within the Bank and externally in the marketplace.
• Strong personal computer skills and familiarity with word processing, spreadsheet software and planning tools are necessary as the incumbent uses a PC for a variety of communication, sales management and general information activities including preparing documents, monitoring results and responding to enquiries.
• Expert knowledge of Canadian Business Banking products and services, including systems, routines and operating procedures;
• Thorough knowledge of Bank's business lending and deposit products and services, and customer profitability model
• Thorough knowledge of competitor offerings and alternative sources of financing
• Expert knowledge of products and services provided by the Bank's specialized sales forces and other delivery channels such as Global Banking & Markets, Global Business Payments, Global Wealth Management, Retail & Small Business Banking, etc.
• Expert knowledge of interviewing, solicitation and business development techniques.
• Thorough knowledge of all commercial management platforms
• Working knowledge of services provided by support areas such as Shared Services Business Support Centre;
• Credit skills and a working knowledge of financial analysis, risk analysis techniques, credit adjudication and the Bank's lending policies/procedures.
• Ability to work non-standard hours
• Ability to travel domestically and frequently as required
Location(s): Canada : Manitoba : Winnipeg
Scotiabank is a leading bank in the Americas. Guided by our purpose: "for every future", we help our customers, their families and their communities achieve success through a broad range of advice, products and services, including personal and commercial banking, wealth management and private banking, corporate and investment banking, and capital markets.
At Scotiabank, we value the unique skills and experiences each individual brings to the Bank, and are committed to creating and maintaining an inclusive and accessible environment for everyone. If you require accommodation (including, but not limited to, an accessible interview site, alternate format documents, ASL Interpreter, or Assistive Technology) during the recruitment and selection process, please let our Recruitment team know. If you require technical assistance, please click here . Candidates must apply directly online to be considered for this role. We thank all applicants for their interest in a career at Scotiabank; however, only those candidates who are selected for an interview will be contacted. Job Segment:
Bank, Banking, Underwriter, Relationship Manager, Risk Management, Finance, Insurance, Customer Service
Banking, Finance and Insurance