We build the Amazon Aurora control plane that:
- Reliably manages a large fleet of databases for our customers freeing them from traditional database operations
- Guarantees best-in-class availability and failover capabilities to sustain the world's most demanding workloads
- Orchestrates and automates the complete lifecycle of a database cluster from creation to operation to scale-out and fail-over
- Has the unique opportunity to integrate closely with our engine and storage layers to build an end-to-end solution that is easy-to-use and at the same time full-fills the demanding requirements of an enterprise-grade solution
Amazon Aurora is a cloud-native relational database which combines the scalability and performance of the best NoSQL databases paired with full compatibility to the most popular relational open source databases - MySQL and PostgreSQL. Amazon Aurora can store petabytes of customer data and can handle peaks of millions of queries per second.
You read until here, great, our team would like you to help us build the future of this service together. As an engineer in our team, you will collaborate together to tackle interesting engineering problems in distributed systems at a large scale. You will have the opportunity to influence and own design and delivery of service features end to end: requirements gathering, design, design reviews, implementations, code reviews, incremental feature launches, operations, writing about it and driving continuous improvement. You will exercise your curiosity, collaborate with diverse teams of smart individuals and get a ton of learning opportunities from peers and senior engineers. Finally, we hope you will enjoy seeing how the things you build will delight our customers and help them become successful, as much as we do.
We don't need you to be an expert in databases or distributed systems as you will have a chance to learn and grow with your team. We are attracted to engineers who love what they do and are passionate about their work. We appreciate curiosity and craftsmanship over knowledge in certain frameworks.
Our technologies include:
- Core Java 8
- RESTful microservices powered by internal RPC framework
- A lot of AWS stack - EC2, EBS, VPC, Route53, DynamoDB, cdk and Infrastructure as code etc. We eat our own dogfood all the time! Where can you learn AWS technologies better than at AWS itself?
- Ruby/Python for infrastructure components and services
Inclusive Team Culture
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon's culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 16 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
Our team puts a high value on work-life balance. It isn't about how many hours you spend at home or at work; it's about the flow you establish that brings energy to both parts of your life. We believe striking the right balance between your personal and professional life is critical to life-long happiness and fulfillment. We offer flexibility in working hours and encourage you to find your own balance between your work and personal lives.
Mentorship & Career Growth
Our team is dedicated to supporting new members. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and we're building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. We care about your career growth and strive to assign projects based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded professional and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.BASIC QUALIFICATIONS
- 2+ years of non-internship professional software development experience
- Programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
- 1+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems.
- Ability to work in a diverse team
- Experience building scalable distributed systems with service oriented architectures
- Proficiency in at least one modern programming language, e.g. Java, C#, or C++
- A deep understanding of software engineering practices, object oriented analysis & design, design patterns and algorithms
- Experience with distributed databases and/or storage systems,
- Demonstrated strong technical judgment in conjunction with passionate customer-focus
- Good verbal and written communication skills
Amazon is committed to providing accommodations at all stages through recruitment and employment in accordance with applicable human rights and accommodation legislation. If contacted for an employment opportunity, advise Human Resources if you require accommodation, including in order to apply for a position.
Software and Programming