Do you enjoy working on large-scale distributed systems? Do you want to influence how the world interacts with and analyzes large data sets across a number of industries and use cases? AWS EMR Control Plane team is looking for talented engineers to work on enhancing and scaling a heavily used AWS Service. If you want to work with a team solving some of the most interesting challenges in distributed systems, building solutions for large scale problems, please talk to us!
Amazon EMR is the industry leading cloud-native big data platform for processing vast amounts of data easily, quickly, and cost-effectively. Using open source tools such as Apache Spark, Apache Hive, Apache HBase, Apache Flink, and Presto, coupled with the dynamic scalability of Amazon EC2 and scalable storage of Amazon S3, EMR gives analytical teams the engines and elasticity to run Petabyte-scale analysis for a fraction of the cost of traditional on-premises clusters. We are developing innovative new features including our next-generation cluster management system, improvements for real-time processing of big data, and ways to enable customers to more easily interact with their data. For more information on EMR:
- AWS EMR: https://aws.amazon.com/emr
- AWS re:Invent 2019 Amazon EMR: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIwJlfEAlHQ
In this role, you will have the opportunity to collaborate with and learn from senior and principal engineers who are domain experts at AWS. You will be part of a collaborative and growing team working on complex problems for a successful and long-running AWS service supporting an expanding customer base. We'll trust you to design and implement critical high performance, large scale services and libraries in collaboration with other internal development teams to solve key business problems with minimal technical supervision. We'll be looking to you to evangelize SDLC best practices across the organization, help refine operational procedures and workflows, and influence architectural decisions to achieve our technical and business goals. If you are an expert in distributed systems and looking to ramp up your skills to AWS scale, this is the role for you! We value engineers who love what they do and are passionate about their work. We appreciate ownership, curiosity, and craftsmanship over specific knowledge in certain frameworks. Our technologies include:
- Core Java
- RESTful microservices powered by internal RPC framework
- Many AWS services - EC2, S3, DynamoDB, Lambda, API Gateway, CloudWatch, CloudFormation, etc. (where can you learn AWS technologies better than at AWS itself?)
- Kerberos, TLS, LDAP
Inclusive Team Culture
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon's culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
Our team puts a high value on work-life balance. It isn't about how many hours you spend at home or at work; it's about the flow you establish that brings energy to both parts of your life. We believe striking the right balance between your personal and professional life is critical to life-long happiness and fulfillment. We offer flexibility in working hours and encourage you to find your own balance between your work and personal lives.
Mentorship & Career Growth
Our team is dedicated to supporting new members. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and we're building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. Our senior members enjoy one-on-one mentoring and thorough, but kind, code reviews. We care about your career growth and strive to assign projects based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded engineer and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.BASIC QUALIFICATIONS
- Programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
- Bachelor's degree in computer science related fields OR 1+ years equivalent experience in software development
- Highly innovative, self-directed and able to deal well with ambiguous problems
- Strong communication skills with the ability to work collaboratively with colleagues at all levels and across teams
- Experience in communicating with users, other technical teams, and senior management to collect requirements, describe software product features, technical designs, and product strategy
- Experience in developing distributed systems with an excellent understanding of scalability, performance and reliability considerations in modern architectures
- Experience developing in SOAs using Java on Linux and one or more scripting languages such as Python
- Experience working in an agile software development organization
- Demonstrated ability to effectively drive cross-team solutions that may have complex dependencies
- Demonstrated ability to mentor other software developers to maintain architectural vision and software quality
- Master's degree in Computer Science with emphasis on distributed systems and/or Big Data architectures
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, age, or other legally protected status. If you would like to request an accommodation, please notify your Recruiter.
Software and Programming