Amazon Web Services (AWS) is looking for a Software Development Manager to be part of the AWS Partner Systems team in the AWS Partner Network. The AWS Partner Network refers to the vast community of AWS Partners provide professional services (APN Consulting Partners
) or software solutions (APN Technology Partners
) to customers to accelerate their adoption of the Cloud. Thousands of partners, customers, and AWS employees rely on products built by the Partner Systems team to discover partners, submit leads, manage opportunities, participate in AWS partner programs, share content, and build solutions.
As a Software Development Manager, you will lead a highly focused and extremely talented team to define the vision for the Amazon wide learning system and execute on it. You will build strong, highly-effective teams you can trust, delegate decisions and tasks to others in your organization. You will build processes that drive accountability within your team, where people assume and take responsibility for actions and decisions. You in the face of ambiguity and imperfect knowledge will innovate with bold bets to drive business growth. You will solve problems at their root, stepping back to understand the broader context. You will continually align your team's work, goals and priorities with Amazon's business objectives. You along with your team will develop pragmatic solutions. You will build flexible systems and processes without over-engineering and choose simple, straightforward solutions over more complex ones
You must be able to
• Lead highly-effective teams, delivering highly available and reliable software for large, critical, and complex systems.
• Independently lead hiring and performance management for your team
• Recognise the high and low performers and coach individuals for performance at both ends of the spectrum
• Create the identity and structure for your team
• Inculcate a culture of innovation and operational efficiency in the team
• Influence technical priorities and business strategy through data-driven contributions
• Successfully manage all stages of a program (from concept to delivery)
• Define all aspects of projects and programs including collecting requirements, writing high-quality documents and doing sprint planning
Our team puts a high value on work-live harmony. It isn't about how many hours you spend at home or at work; it's about the flow you establish that brings energy to both parts of your life. We believe striking the right balance between your personal and professional life is critical to life-long happiness and fulfillment. We offer flexibility in working hours and encourage you to find your own balance between your work and personal lives. Most days, our entire team is co-located in the Seattle office, but we're also flexible when people occasionally need to work from home. We generally keep core in-office hours from 10am to 4pm. About half of us come in earlier and the other half of us stay later.
This position involves on-call responsibilities, typically for one week every two months. We don't like getting paged in the middle of the night or on the weekend, so we work to ensure that our systems are fault tolerant. When we do get paged, we work together to resolve the root cause so that we don't get paged for the same issue twice.
Mentorship & Career Growth
Our team is dedicated to supporting new team members. Our team has a broad mix of experience levels and Amazon tenures, and we're building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. Our senior engineers truly enjoy mentoring more junior engineers and engineers from non-traditional backgrounds through one-on-one mentoring and thorough, but kind, code reviews.
We care about your career growth. We try to assign projects and tasks based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded engineer and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.
Inclusive Team Culture
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and we host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon's culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
We're looking for a new teammate who is enthusiastic, empathetic, curious, motivated, reliable, and able to work effectively with a diverse team of peers; someone who will help us amplify the positive & inclusive team culture we've been building.BASIC QUALIFICATIONS
- 7+ years of experience working directly within engineering teams
- Experience partnering with product OR program management teams
- 3+ years of people management experience, managing engineers
- 3+ years of experience architecting and designing (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems
- Bachelor's degree and 5+ years of software development experience or Masters degree and 3+ years of experience
* 4+ years of people management experience and leading teams
* Proven track record of leading teams and delivering
* A business and tech-savvy, analytical manager with a verifiable track record of managing and delivering enterprise projects on time and within budget.
* Ability to multi-task and manage stress effectively in a fast-paced environment with flexibility balancing feasibility and viability
* Ability to hire and develop strong technical team and leaders
* Great problem solving skills, desire to solve problems that have no textbook solution
* Communicate ideas effectively, both verbally and in writing, to all types of audiences including Directors, VPs and software developers.
* Meets/exceeds Amazon's leadership principles requirements for this role
* Meets/exceeds Amazon's functional/technical depth and complexity for this rolePREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
- - Experience building complex software systems that have been successfully delivered to customer.
• Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
• Ability to take a project from scoping requirements through actual launch of the project. Experience in communicating with users, other technical teams, and management to collect requirements, describe software product features, and technical designs.
• Fluency in Java or C++
• Strong skills in Relational Data Modeling
• Passion for software craftsmanship that yields clean, elegant and maintainable code
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an
accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, age, or other legally protected status. If you would like to request an accommodation, please notify your Recruiter.
Software and Programming